Texas Application For State Financial Aid (TASFA)
The State of Texas has a financial aid application for students who are not United States Citizens, but who are Texas residents. This application is called the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA). It is available on or after October 1 of the year prior to enrollment. For example, the TASFA for the 2023-2024 academic year can be submitted on or after October 1, 2022. In order to ensure your file is ready for awarding, we recommend that you submit your TASFA by the recommended submission date as listed below.
|Application Term||TASFA||Report Income From||Recommended Submission Date|
|Fall 2023||2023-2024||2021||December 15, 2022|
|Spring 2024||2023-2024||2021||October 1, 2023 |
|Fall 2024||2024-2025||2022||March 15, 2024|
|Spring 2025||2024-2025||2022||October 1, 2024|
Texas residents who are not U.S. citizens may not receive Federal Aid, but can receive State and Institutional Aid. Our office reviews you for these funds by looking at the information from your TASFA.
To fill out this application, you must meet one
of the following criteria:
- You resided in Texas for 36 consecutive months before earning a high school diploma or GED, and
- Lived part of that time with a parent or legal guardian
- Were not a resident of another state
- Had not been admitted to a college and completed credit prior to 2001
- You hold a visa* that allows you to live in the United States.
- You or your parent (if you are dependent) must be employed in Texas for at least 12 months before you enroll in college
*For more information about visas that permit you to establish a domicile in the United States, please view the table of Immigration Visa Types
Scholarships and Financial Aid will not share your immigration status with anyone. You can review FERPA guidelines
to better understand your rights.