Learn how to protect your identity and what to do if you become a victim of identity theft.
How to Protect Yourself from Identity theftComputer
- Make sure you have an up-to-date firewall, virus protection software, and anti-spam or spyware program.
- Never download files or click on links that look suspicious.
- Make sure you are using a secure browser when online shopping, banking, or sharing personal information.
- Make sure you use strong passwords with letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Have different passwords for different accounts.
- Check your bank accounts and credit cards frequently for errors.
- Check your credit reports regularly on AnnualCreditReport.com
- Invest in a shredder and never put any sort of personal information or banking information in your trashcan without shredding it.
- Be very careful when giving out personal information.
- Ask how they will be using your information and be wary of someone eavesdropping or looking over your shoulder.
- Make sure you lock and passcode protect your phone.